Vita Daphna Arbel
- Biblical and Early Jewish Literature
- Early Jewish Mysticism
- Enochic Literature
- Near-Eastern and Biblical Mythology
- Gender/Women: Biblical/Post-Biblical Traditions
Forming Femininity in Antiquity- Eve, Gender, and Ideologies in the ‘Greek Life of Adam and Eve‘. Oxford University Press, USA. 2012. Pp. 232.
Beholders of Divine Secrets. Mysticism and Myth in the Hekhalot Literature. Albany NY: State University Press NY, 2003. Pp. 250.
“… And So They Went Out” – The Lives of Adam and Eve as Cultural Transformative Story. By Daphna Arbel, J. R. C. Cousland, Dietmar Neufeld. New York, NY USA: Continuum International Publishing Group, 2010. Pp. 208.
With Letters of Light: Studies in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Early Jewish Apocalypticism, Magic and Mysticism. Edited by Daphna Arbel and Andrei Orlov. Ekstasis Series II. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2011 Pp. viii + 456
Not Sparing the Child: Human Sacrifice in the Ancient World and Beyond. Edited by D. Arbel, P. Burns, R. Cousland, R. Menkis, D. Neufeld. Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2015. Pp. 272
Refereed Chapters and Articles
“On Human’s Elevation, Hubris, and Fall from Glory: Traditions of Yima/Jamshid and Enoch/Metatron - An Indirect Cultural Dialogue?” Aram Periodical Journal for Syro-Mesopotamian Studies, University of Oxford 26 (2014) 1-13.
“Astrology and the Zodiac in Sefer Hekhalot: Social and Ideological Functions?” Aram Periodical Journal for Syro-Mesopotamian Studies, University of Oxford. Vol 24 (2012) 443-456.
“Adam, Enoch, Malchizedek, and Eve.” Pages 431-53 in New Perspectives on 2 Enoch: No Longer Slavonic Only. Edited by G. Boccaccini and A. Orlov. Leiden: Brill, 2012.
“The Sights Revealed to Eve.” Jerusalem Studies in Jewish Thought Vol. 22 (2011) 53-74.
“Vision of the Chariot in the Greek Life of Adam and Eve.” Pages 267-84 in With Letters of Light; Studies in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Early Jewish Apocalypticism, Magic and Mysticism in Honour of Rachel Elior. Edited by Daphna Arbel and Andrei Orlov. Ekstasis Series II. Berlin & New York: de Gruyter 2011.
“Rachel Elior – An Appreciation from her Colleagues and Students,” by Daphna Arbel and Andrei Orlov. Pages 1-5 in With Letters of Light: Studies in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Early Jewish Apocalypticism, Magic and Mysticism in Honour of Rachel Elior. Edited by Daphna Arbel and Andrei Orlov. Ekstasis Series II. de Gruyter, 2011.
“'Acquainted with the Mystery of Heavens and Earth' Sfar Malwašia, Mesopotamian Divinatory Traditions, and Enoch.” Aram Periodical Journal for Syro Mesopotamian Studies University of Oxford. Vol 23.
“Enoch-Metatron-The Highest of all Tapsarim? 3 Enoch and Divinatory Traditions of the Tupsarru Scribes-Scholars.” Jewish Studies Quarterly 15 (2008) 1- 32.
“Elijah’s Traditions and the Enoch-Metatron Lore of 3 Enoch.” Aram Periodical Journal for Syro-Mesopotamian Studies, University of Oxford (2008) 59 – 76.
“‘Ben-Yosef is a Jewish Son’: Jewish Portrayals of Jesus in Literature and Art – Dialectic Reclamation of Preservation and Transformation.” In The Jesus Figure in Modern Literature and Art, 139-154. Edited by P. C. Burns. Continuum Press: New York, 2007.
“Divine Secrets and Divination in 3 Enoch.” In Paradise Now: Essays on Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism, 355-379. Edited by A. Deconick. Atlanta GA: Society of Biblical Literature, 2006.
“Pure Marble Stones Or Water? On Ecstatic Perception, Group Identity, and Authority in Hekhalot and Merkavah Literature.” Studies in Spirituality 16 (2006) 21- 38.
“Questions About Eve’s Iniquity, Beauty, and the Fall: The Primal Figure in Ezekiel 28:11-19 and Genesis Rabbah Traditions of Eve.” Journal of Biblical Literature 124/4 (2005) 631- 645.
“Seal of Resemblance, Full of Wisdom, and Perfect in Beauty: The Enoch/Metatron Narrative of 3 Enoch and Ezekiel 28.” Harvard Theological Review 98:2 (2005) 121-142.
“Forms of Spirit and Soul: ‘Transcendent Anthropomorphism’ in Shiur Komah Traditions,” Studies in Spirituality 12 (2002) 4-22.
“A View on Early Jewish Mysticism” in “Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism”: A Collage of Working Definitions. Ed. April DeConick. In: Society of Biblical Literatur 2001 Seminar Papers. Atlanta, GA: Society of Biblical Literature, 1-3.
“Junction of Tradition in Edessa: Possible Interaction Between Mesopotamian Mythological and Jewish Mystical Traditions in the First Centuries CE”, Aram Periodical Journal for Syro – Mesopotamian Studies, University of Oxford: Antioch and Edessa, 11/2 (2001) 335 – 356.
“Jewish Liturgy-Rabbinic” in Dictionary of the New Testament Background, 650-655. Edited by C. A. Evans and S. E. Porter. Downers Grove, Illinois, Leicester, England, 2000.
“‘My Vineyard, My Very Own, Is For Myself’: A Literary Analysis of the Song of Songs”, in The Song of Songs. A Feminist Companion to the Bible. 2nd Series, 90-101. Edited by A. Brenner and C. R. Fontaine. Sheffield, England, 2000.
“’Understanding of the Heart’ – Mystical Experiences in the Hekhalot Literature”, Journal for the Study of Judaism 6/4 (1999) 319-344.
The Visions of Eve: On Gendered Visions in Antiquity. Contracted. DeGruyter- Ekstasis Series.
“The Most Beautiful Woman”: On Femininities in the Song of Songs.
Femininities in the Song of Songs & Later Generations.
Forthcoming Chapters and Articles
“The Most Beautiful Woman,” “Woman Wisdom,” and “the Strange Woman”: On Femininity in the Song of Songs.” In Poets, Prophets, Lovers and Beauty: Studies in Biblical Poetry and Prophecy in Honour of Francis Landy (T&T Clark). Edited by Claudia Camp, David Gunn, Ehud Ben Zvi and Aaron Hughes.
“Guarding his Body, Mourning his Death, Praying for his Soul, and Beholding Mysteries: On Adam’s Death and Eve’s Grace in the ‘Greek Life of Adam and Eve’.” In Coming Back to Life: Performance, Memory, and Cognition in the Ancient Mediterranean in Memory of Professor Ellen Aitken. Editors: Frederick Tappenden and Carly Daniel-Hughes.
“On Women’s Visions, Mystical Tropes, and Gender Ideologies ” [tentative title]. In Jewish Studies (New Studies in Early Jewish Mysticism volume). Edited by Ithamar Gruenwald, Yaacov Deutsch, Hannah Kasher, Israel Knohl.
“Early Jewish Mysticism.” In The Cambridge Handbook of Western Mysticism and Esotericism. Edited by Glenn A. Magee. Cambridge University Press.
Select Conference Papers 2000-
- November 2013 - Baltimore, MD. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference: Esotericism and Mysticism in Antiquity group. Theme: Women and Gender Reviews and Discussion of April DeConick, Holy Misogyny (Bloomsbury 2011) and V. Daphna Arbel, Forming Femininity in Antiquity (OUP, 2012).
- July 2012 - Oxford, UK. ARAM Thirty Fourth International Conference: Zoroastrianism in the Levant: On Human’s Elevation, Hubris, and Fall from Glory: Traditions of Yima/Jamshid and Enoch/Metatron - An Indirect Cultural Dialogue?
- November 2010 - Atlanta GA. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference: Early Jewish/Christian Mysticism Group: Words of Honor- Prof. Rachel Elior and the Study of Early Jewish Mysticism.
- July 2010 – Oxford, UK. ARAM 29 international Conference: Astrology in the Ancient Near East. Title: The Zodiac and Astrology in the Hekhalot Literature.
- July 2009 – Oxford, UK. ARAM 28 International Conference: The Mandaeans. Title: “Acquainted with the Mystery of Heavens and Earth” Sfar Malwašia, Mesopotamian Divinatory Traditions, and 3 Enoch.
- November 2009 – Vancouver, BC. Green College Lecture Series: Translation Theory and Practice in the 21st Century. Organizer: Susanna Braund, UBC. Workshop: Challenges of Translating Hebrew Poetry.
- June 2009 – Naples, Italy. The Fifth Enoch Seminar. Title: Enoch, Adam, Melchisedek: Mystical Connections.
- November 2009- New Orleans, Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Religious Experience Group Mysticism Group. Title: Moshe Idel- Notions of Experience in the Hekhalot Literature.
- March 2009 – Vancouver, UBC Centre for Translation Studies, Peter Wall Centre for Advanced Studies. Workshop convened by Susanna Braund. Position paper. Title: Translating Eve.
- November 2008- Boston, MA. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group. Title: Enoch-Metatron of 3 Enoch.
- November 2007 – San Diego, CA. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group. Title: Crown, Name, Robe, and Throne: Enoch- Metatron and Biblical Royal Ideology Notions.
- July 2006 – Oxford, UK. The 20th International ARAM conference- Iconography and Mythology of Prophet Elijah, St George and al-Khodor. Title: The Ascents of Elijaha & Enoch/Metatron.
- May 2006 - Toronto, Ontario. Canadian Society of Biblical Literature. Title: A Divine- Human Cherub? The Primal Figure of Ezekiel 28.
- December 2005 – Washington D.C. Association for Jewish Studies. Title: The Experienced Lore of the Scribes: On Scholarship, Divination, and ‘Ecstatic’ Experiences.
- November 2005 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group: Respond to A. Segal’s review of my book Beholders of Divine Secrets.
- July 2004 – Groningen, Netherlands. Society of Biblical Literature International Conference: Judaism Session. Title: The Shapes of Sprit and Soul: “Mystical” Notions in the Hekhalot and Merkavah Literature.
- November 2004 –San Antonio, TX. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group.
- May 2004 - Vancouver, Canada.Society of Biblical Literature Regional Conference-Jesus Session. Title: Reclaiming: Jesus in Contemporary Jewish Literature and Art.
- November 2003 – Atlanta, Georgia. The Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference: Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group. Title: Book Review of Alan Segal’s Life After Death: A History of the Afterlife in the Religions of the West.
- July 2003 – Cambridge, England. Society of Biblical Literature International Conference – Israelite Religion Session. Title: God of Gods, King of Kings, and Master of Masters.
- November 2002 – The Society of Biblical Literature Panel discussion: Early Jewish Christian Mysticism Group. Title: Early Jewish Christian Mysticism – What Are We Talking About?
- July 2001 – Rome, Italy. Society of Biblical Literature International Conference. Title: A Ladder in One’s House: Mystical Exegesis and Biblical Texts in Hekhalot Literature.
- June 2000 – Jerusalem, Israel. The 8th Biennial Conference in Canadian Studies. Title: Questions of Identity. Israeli and Canadian First-Nations Voices in Contemporary Poetry.
- November 2000 – Nashville, Tennessee. Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference. Title: Eve in the Vita of Adam and Eve: A Subtle Transformation
- January 2004 - Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Study, UBC. Organizer: Theme Development Workshop: “So-Called Angels” - Inter-disciplinary Perspectives (Classical Studies, Film, Germanic Studies, History, Psychology, Religious Studies, Theatre).
PhD (Religious Studies), Hebrew University Jerusalem, Israel 1997
MA (Religious Studies), Hebrew University Jerusalem, 1988
BA (Education and Theatre) Hebrew University Jerusalem, 1983
2012 – Professor, University of British Columbia
2002 – Associate Professor, University of British Columbia
1997 – 2002 Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia
1995 – 1997 Instructor II, University of British Columbia
Grants, Honours, Prizes
Visiting Professor – Hebrew University in Jerusalem
Early Career Scholars Program/ Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies Associate Professor level
Select Competitive Research Grants 2000-
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Board of Canada (SSHRC) Standard Research Grant. Project title ‘The Visions of Eve: a Study of Eve i the Greek Life of Adam and Eve.’
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Board of Canada (SSHRC) Standard Research Grant. Project title: ‘Constructing an angel: On Enoch – Metatron of Late Antique Judaism.’
SSHRC Travel Grant. Conference: Cambridge England
SSHRC Travel Grant. Conference: Hebrew University Jerusalem
HSS–UBC, University of British Columbia. Project title ‘Representations of angelic and divine beings in the Hekhalot and Merkavah literature.’
HSS–UBC, University of British Columbia. Project title ‘Biblical texts in Early Jewish Mystical Texts: Iconic/Uniconic imagery’
Membership in scholarly societies
ARAM Society for Syro-Mesopotamian Studies
Association for Jewish Studies
Canadian Society of Biblical Studies: 1999-ongoing
Society of Biblical Literature: 1995-ongoing
Enoch Seminar: International Scholarship on Second Temple Judaism/Christian Origins
Women in Judaism: A Multidisciplinary Journal http://www.womeninjudaism.org