The applicants’ online application must be completed and submitted by:
Friday, January 6th, 2017 (for the PhD program).
Friday, January 6th, 2017 (for the MA program).
All letters of reference must be received (through the online system) by Monday, January 16th, 2017.
These deadlines are very strict. Remember to request references early!
All students are to apply for September entry. In very exceptional circumstances the Department will consider January admission for the MA program only.
Documents required for all graduate applications:
- On-line application form.
- This must be submitted online via the central UBC link: On-Line Application
- 3 letters of reference.
- These should be submitted online using the electronic reference (“e-ref”) system in the application. Referees listed on the applicants’ forms will be sent an automatically-generated email invitation to submit their references once the applicant has submitted his/her on-line application, and then will have until Monday, January 16th, 2017 to submit their references online. Referees can choose to answer the list of standard questions provided online, OR submit a separate, signed letter of reference as a PDF that is uploaded to the system OR both, if they wish.
- Statement of intent.
- Applicants should answer the following statement that appears on the online application: “Please provide a brief statement of your academic and/or professional goals and how these align with this graduate program” (Free Text, no more than approximately 600 words).
- Sample of writing. This can be a term paper or a substantial scholarly paper, and should be uploaded to the online application.
Additional documents required for international applications:
- International applicants are required to submit their original diplomas. Transcripts and diplomas in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- TOEFL score (if required). Score (minimum 600) must be less than 2 years old at time of application, OR IELTS score of minimum 7.5 with no individual band scoring less than 7.0
Note: GREs are not necessary.